Hello! If you follow me you’re probably wondering why you have already received my draft copy of this post. I work on these posts on my phone, whenever I get the chance. This post was drafted while sitting in a hospital waiting room and while working, I got bumped by a passing wheelchair and I accidentally hit the publish button. Well done, Anne! Maybe I should just write my drafts in another app… I’m just hopeless! My apologies.
On to the card! In 2013, Jennifer McGuire did a feature on inlaying die cuts, just like a jig-saw puzzle. When I saw the new Altenew Floral Layered Cover Die Cover A, I couldn’t wait to try this technique with it.
I started by cutting pieces of navy, teal, yellow and white 12″×12″ generic textured cardstock big enough to fit the cover die. With this technique, it works better when all the colours of card have the same thickness and having the same texture also gives a consistent end result.
I cut pieces of JAC paper to the same size as my cardstock and stuck them to the back of each piece of coloured card. I ran each of the four pieces, with the cover die, through the die cutting machine, running them through several times to make sure the die had cut through the JAC paper properly.
Once cut, I stuck sticky tape (or you could use post it tape) over the back of the JAC paper. I did this to make sure all the intricate pieces stayed in place while the cover die was removed. As I was going to be using both positive and negative pieces of each piece, I needed to make sure I didn’t lose any of the smaller pieces while I removed the cover die. There’s nothing more frustrating than losing one tiny little piece of the die cut and having to cut another, just for that piece.
I chose to use the yellow frame for this card. I mounted it onto another piece of cardstock cut to the same size as the frame. This then became the backing panel to which I stuck all the inlay pieces. I used navy flowers, teal leaves and white background pieces to fill the yellow frame. I didn’t discard any of the pieces from the leftover panels, I’ll be able to make more inlaid panels with them at a later date, and if the colours aren’t quite right for the next project, I’ll be able to change them with my distress inks.
While the finished panel looked good, I couldn’t help myself and I went over the navy and teal pieces with my Spectrum Noir Clear Overlay Sparkle Pen. I’m glad I put the extra effort in, the textured cardstock showed the sparkle up beautifully, at almost every angle.
I tossed around many ideas for a sentiment and ended up deciding to keep it fairly simple. Using Altenew’s Inline Alpha dies, I die cut the letters for “hi”, once in textured cardstock and once in white craft foam. I glued the two together and adhered the letters onto the panel using Ranger Multi Medium Matte Adhesive. I gave the letters a light coat of Glossy Accents to give them a shine while still allowing the texture of the card to still show through. Keeping the sentiment simple allowed the shimmering cardstock and inlay work to stay the main focus.
I quickly mounted the panel onto a top folding A2 card base using acid free PVA craft glue. While I don’t usually make this size card, I think the cover die looks great as the entire card front.
The colours for this card were intended to suit this month’s Altenew Inspiration Challenge. I’m also going to add this card to the current Crafty Friends Challenge #56 and Simon Says Wednesday Challenge, both with an anything goes theme.
I loved this technique, placing all the pieces was so relaxing! I really do recommend using a version of JAC paper too, it makes securing the pieces in place so easy.
Thanks for reading… perhaps for the second time.