Hello! Today I’m sharing my next two cards in my Personal Christmas Card Challenge, a challenge to see how many different ways I can use a seasonal looking background to create my Christmas cards.

This time, I’ve created two cards with the same theme, simply because I really didn’t know what background I wanted to use with Crafts4U’s lamp post die I’ve had sitting around for a few years. I’m also starting to run late with my cards so making multiple but still unique cards is starting to becomea necessity. I decided to browse Pinterest to get some inspiration before I started and found the inspiration for two backgrounds I liked, trouble was I liked them both equally.

Before I got into making the backgrounds, I created some of the other elements. I first created the panel I needed for my sky. I inked up a piece of cardstock with Prize Ribbon and Salty Ocean Distress Inks and blended them using my DIY Metallic Cardstock technique.

I knew I’d only need half a die cut panel for each card so I added the lighter blue to the centre and the darker blue to each end of the cardstock. After allowing the piece to dry, I die cut it with the Time For Tea Designs Nordic Star Slimline Die, the focus die of my Personal Christmas Card Challenge. I then cut the panel in half and added it to the top section of an 8.5″×3.5″ card base.

For each of the lamp posts, I cut three die cuts from black cardstock backed with wide double sided adhesive tape. I glued two die cuts together and cut the candle away from the third die cut before adding it on top of the other two. I then die cut candle sections from white cardstock and trimmed them down so I could add the white candle into the space where I’d cut away the black candle from the final layer of the lamp post. I carefully coloured the flame and wick with alcohol markers so it looked like my candle was burning. I then traced around the inside of one of the negative space pieces from the lamp post die cuts onto white cardstock twice. I then added some yellow alcohol marker and blended it out to a lighter yellow with a colourless blender pen where the candle was going to sit to give the appearance of reflected light. I cut both backing pieces out by hand and added them behind the lamps.

I then turned my attention to creating two quick wreaths to hang from the lamp posts. I used a die from the Frantic Stamper Fireplace Holiday Extra Die Set to cut out two wreaths from green cardstock and five mini bows from another die set red cardstock. I added the bows to one wreath and some small flat backed pearls to the other and glued both wreaths into place on each lamp post.

It was now time to turn my attention to the snow drifts and other remaining elements of the backgrounds. I started by die cutting the trees for one background and the buildings for the other, both from plain white cardstock. I coloured the lower edges of the tree dies with Forest Moss Distress Ink and blended it out with my water brush pen filled with the Pearlizing Medium.

I wanted the borders of my snow layers to have a little bit of extra interest so I started them by cutting a few panels from white cardstock using The Ton’s Pierced Nested Slimline Die Set. Starting from the rear, each of the snow drifts were cut, using the MFT Stitched Snow Drifts Die Set, from these panels after they were arranged over the previous layer and had the die taped into placed. This allowed me to easily get the angles on my snow drifts to compliment each other while allowing the trees and the houses to fit into place when I was ready to glue things together.

But, before I went ahead with the construction of the backgrounds, I decided to heat embossing a greeting for each card. I used a simple greeting from the Lawn Fawn Ho Ho Holidays Stamp Set on the second snow drift layer, placing the lamp post in place briefly to get the best position for my stamp on the drifts. Using Versamark ink and Poppy Crafts medium blue embossing powder, I quickly stamped both drifts at the same time using my stamping platform, setting the powder when I was finished.

All the planning and arranging of the die cut pieces in advance now came to the fore. I simply added each layer to each card base with Ranger Multi MediumvMatte Adhesive, lining all the borders and die cuts as I went. The slip of the wet glue was really helpful here because it allowed me to position everything easily. I added each lamp post and glued the final, front snowdrifts into place with some foam tape so I could position them over the thicker lamp post bases without them being buckled.

When I look back at these cards, I think I prefer the background with the houses but I’m pretty happy with how they both turned out in the end. I think the small differences between the two cards have given them both a pretty unique look, even though they were made with the same lamp post topper.

To see the earlier card made for my Personal Christmas Card Challenge, made with this background die, please click on the image below. Thanks so much for spending time with me today, I look forward to next time! 😊

Card 1
Card 2
Card 3
Card 4
Card 5
Card 6
Card 7
Card 8
Card 9
Card 10
Advertisement

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s