Hello! MMedel Illustrations has joined the latest Creative Fingers Challenge and I got the opportunity to play with the sweetest Fairy Kids Digital Stamp Set.
I started by digitally arranging several of the set’s elements into a mini scene. But, before printing, I chose the die set I wanted to use in my project. After selecting the Crafters Companion’s Rococo Frames Die Set, I measured the centre shaped die and sized my image accordingly and printed it onto XPress-it Blending Cardstock. I coloured the image with my Chameleon Pens and added a little extra shading with my Lyra Rembrandt pencils, die cutting the piece once I was finished.
I decided to use more pink and orange on the rest of the card, with black as my contrast. I die cut the frame from black cardstock and inked up a background panel with Ripe Persimmon, Carved Pumpkin, Kitch Flamingo and Picked Raspberry Distress Inks. I wasn’t too particular about blending the colours because I knew my next step would do the job for me.
I dried the Distress Inks off a little with my heat gun and went over the entire panel with a cheap Pearlizing Medium (DecoArt DS48-3 Americana Pearlizing Mediums Paint). The Pearlizing Medium reactivated the inks and blended them beautifully as it was applied. A full tutorial on how I create this stunning metallic background panel can be found here.
The Pearlizing Medium seals the Distress Inks so there was no need to seal the surface a second time and, as it dries really quickly, I was able to continue on with die cutting the coloured and another black panel with a stitched 5″×7″ die set. I glued each layer to a 5″×7″ card base and popped it under something heavy while the liquid PVA I used dried properly.
For the sentiment, I chose two greetings from the Simon Says Stamp Tiny Sentiments Birthday Stamp Set and, once stamped, I die cut them out with the smallest die from the Crafters Companion’s Rococo Frames Die Set. I glued that die cut onto a scrap of black card and fussy cut around it to give the die cut a small black border.
There was a fair amount of space left bare at either end of the sentiment so I drew a matching flower and leaves freehand, using a Copic multiliner pen at either end of the tag. I did my best to replicate the digital flowers in the main scene and coloured them in the same way to keep them consistent across the card. For something that was hand drawn, I’m pretty pleased with how well they matched in. I mounted the sentiment onto foam tape and added it to the bottom of the card.
I apologise again for not having the tutorial on how I use the Pearlizing Medium ready but family just has to come first, as I’m sure you all understand. I hope I can get my tutorial on how I use this inexpensive medium uploaded in the very near future. As they say in the classics, stay tuned!😄
Thanks so much for spending time with me today, I look forward to next time.😊