Hello! This card would have to be one of the “busiest” cards I’ve ever made. So busy, in fact, I’m left wondering if there’s a little too much going on in this design, especially after making a few CAS designs recently.
I wanted to make a card that used multiple Altenew products for this month’s Altenew Inspiration Challenge and to stick solely to the three colours of that challenge, not even adding an extra, neutral colour background. I also wanted to add this card to the Crafty Friends Challenge #59 that wants us to make pink our focus. And, with all these layers, I’m sure this card also qualifies for the call for texture from this week’s Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge.
I decided to use cream cardstock as the background colour but the only cream card I had was far from a good cardstock to work on. It wasn’t alcohol ink friendly, coloured pencils left grooves and scratches in the card as I applied them and the stamp set I wanted to use came only with outline images, so stamping colours was also out of the question. That left me with watercolouring, but too much water also bled terribly. I was down to the last colouring medium I had, watercolour pencils. This generic card makes a very sturdy card base, it’s just rubbish to try and work on.
In the past, I have used white card to work on when I’m using this cardstock, but I have never liked the look of the white card feature on the cream background. You could always see the white through the piece and white and cream together just doesn’t work for me.
I soldiered on and stamped the outline images of Altenew’s Persian Motifs stamp set in Memento’s Desert Sand dye ink and gently applied Faber-Castell watercolour pencils. I used a fairly dry water brush to set the colours between layers. I finished with a final layer of pencil and, so that the texture of my pencil lines wasn’t washed away, I set the final layer of pencil by lightly spritzing with water. I allowed them to dry and fussy cut each piece out, leaving a small border, similar to a die cut.
I put the floral pieces aside and turned my attention to the backdrop. I cut one of each of the new Altenew Layered Plaid Cover Dies, using the same cream card for the Cover Die B and a dusty pink cardstock for the Cover Die A. With a piece of burgundy card for a backdrop, I stacked and glued them together and positioned them on the cream card base. I then added the flowers, giving some of them dimension with some foam tape.
To add a sentiment, I die cut five of the Halftone Happy die, four from the cream card and one from Core’dinations Core Couture Glitter Cut and Emboss pad dusty pink glitter cardstock. I glued them all together and glued the stack into place. I then cut a small strip of the dusty pink glitter card, heat embossed the word “birthday” from the Halftone Happy stamp set in gold, cut a fishtail in one end and added that piece to the card as well.
With so many elements on this card, I made sure that I mixed the layering up, tucking some pieces behind others, while overlaying that same piece over another. I think this effect really helped to bring all the pieces together. It’s just a shame that cream card gave me so much grief.