This week I’ve taken inspiration from four challenges. I chose to use the MFT Sketch Challenge #334 design, Time Out Challenges #84 quote, Less Is More Challenge’s theme and finally, AAA Cards Challenge #91 3rd birthday celebration.
I started by stamping the flowers and leaves with Uniko’s Pure Florals Chrysanthemum stamp set onto white cardstock and heat embossing with white embossing powder. I inked the entire flower images with Spun Sugar and the leaves with Bundled Sage Distress Inks, using sponge daubers and allowed them to dry.
Then, using my Spectrum Noir Clear Overlay Sparkle Pen, I picked up Picked Raspberry and Blueprint Sketch Distress Inks that I’d put on my ceramic coaster and added extra colour to each of the flowers. Using the sparkle pen brush works exactly the same as using a water brush. The distress inks don’t damage the Spectrum Noir brush tip and it lays down colour and shimmer at the same time. I also picked up Forest Moss Distress Ink to add to the leaves. Once dry, I fussy cut each piece out, leaving a small border, similar to a die.
Next, I cut a white piece of 5″×7″ card and cut a square window from the top section using the two largest dies from the MFT Inside and Out Stitched Squares die stax. This not only created the aperture but also a frame to inlay back into the space, to give a more finished look to the window when assembled. I also cut the white card towards the bottom of the card with one of the dies from MFT’s Stitched Basic Edges #2 set, to complete the look for the MFT Sketch design.
I was initially going to mount everything on a white card base but the flowers dried a much lighter colour than I had anticipated. They didn’t stand out enough when placed on a fully white background. After a little experimentation, I decided on a darker pink card base, cutting a 5″×7″ card to mount my finished work on.
I adhered the top white panel onto the card base, added the smaller flower and then overlaid the window’s frame, gluing it into place with Ranger Multi Medium Matte Adhesive. I put some foam tape under the larger flower and stuck it into position, finishing the floral display by gluing leaves into place.
To complete the card, and to keep the CAS appearance, I decided to add the lower portion of the white card panel to the pink card front. I trimmed a few millimetres off the bottom of the lower panel so that, when attached to the card, it would leave a thin pink line showing. I thought this would accentuate the MFT sketch while keeping the card as CAS as possible.
I heat embossed a greeting from the same Uniko Chrysanthemum stamp set on the lower panel, with Ranger Magenta Embossing Powder, before gluing it to the card. I also added a few drops of Nuvo Crystal Clear Glaze liquid around the flowers to finish off. This Glaze holds its shape while drying, rather than flattening out like other clear glazes, adding more dimension to the clear droplet.
It was quite a challenge to combine the sketch and keep a CAS theme, but I’m really happy with the outcome. The huge flowers, shimmering from every angle, sit beautifully on the darker window and the plain white areas balance the card out nicely. It’s turned out to be one of my more favoured creations.