Hello! Since I got my die cutting machine last year, I’ve been dying to try a very old carding technique, making a faux stained glass window using a die instead of hand cutting apertures. This technique, using Glaze and Aqualip Sakura Pens as the window stain is quick and easy when combined with heat embossing a stamped image, using a peel off outline sticker or tracing an image using the Sakura black Aqualip pen.
I combined three challenge themes to design the card. I started with thee design sketch from the latest My Favorite Things Challenge, the theme of embossing from AAA CAS Cards and I used the colours from this month’s Altenew Inspiration Challenge again.
For my card I started by cutting cardstock to make a 5″×7″ top folding card, as I did here. I die cut an oval aperture using MFT’s Inside and Out Oval Stack Set. I also cut two matching frames using the larger two dies from the same set, one in black and another in white for the inside of the card. The white oval frame wasn’t crucial but it gives a more finished look to the window when looking from inside the card.
I heat embossed the triple stripe stamp from Simon Says Stamp Jumbo Stripes Stamp Set with Ranger Black Embossing Powder along the left side of the card front. To get the stripes perfectly placed, and straight, I used my Misti and Creative Corners Set. I also used Versamark Ink and plenty of antistatic powder to make heat embossing black powder a little easier.
For the window itself, I die cut an oval piece of heat resistant acetate using the largest die from the MFT Oval Set. Again, using my Misti, Versamark ink and lots of antistatic powder, I stamped Altenew’s Fresh Freesia stamp onto the acetate and heat embossed it with more black embossing powder.
A quick tip when heat embossing on acetate. Instead of using thicker heat resistant acetate you can buy at craft stores, try laser printer transparencies. They’re made to withstand about 70°C so they can pass through a laser printer without melting. They are a bit thinner than craft store acetate but they’re fine for making windows such as this one, where the card supports the window well.
To colour the flowers, I used Sakura’s pink #821 Aqualip and red #822 Glaze pens, blending the colours together to give a little depth to the petals. I used green Glaze pens #830 and #834 to colour the stem and leaves and allowed it all to dry completely, which only takes about 30 minutes.
For the sentiment, I black heat embossed a greeting from Altenew’s Birch Land Stamp Set onto a scrap piece of card and die cut a black frame for it using MFT’s Oval Word Window Set. I also cut the sentiment out using the same die so I could inset the sentiment inside it’s frame.
I assembled all the elements using 3mm double sided tape for the acetate and Ranger Multi Medium Matte Adhesive for the other elements. To give consistency to all the black pieces, I finished the black frames off with a thin layer of Glossy Accents.
This card technique was really a lovely walk down memory lane…