Hello! Last week I made my parents’ 60th wedding anniversary card, putting all the effort into the hidden slider on the front. Well, putting it mildly, I completely messed up the inside of the card while writing on it. ARGH! You may have actually heard me swearing, from wherever you are on the planet! My pet parrot now knows quite a few new profanity combinations.

My first thoughts were to try and cover it up with just a piece of coloured paper, or perhaps cutting the front of the card off and sticking it to a new card base. The coloured paper idea required quite a dark coloured paper so the stuff up couldn’t be seen. Cutting the card front off and adding it to a new card base would have made the card too front heavy, meaning it wouldn’t stand up properly. My only safe course of action was to walk away and think. And I couldn’t think clearly while I was jumping up and down collating those new profanity combinations.

I decided to sleep on a remedy and woke up with the idea of making it into a “double card”. As card makers, we tend to use one feature technique; a slider, a shaker, a pull tab etc. We hardly ever make a card with two completely different feature techniques. Why? The only answer I could come up with was that that one feature took a lot of time and effort and that was more than enough for the occasion were making the card for. This was a 60th wedding anniversary, how much effort had been put into that milestone? I decided to make a pop up centre for my card, and thus, make two cards in one!

This idea solved the problem of hiding my mistakes very well, it would stabilize the card base and make it sturdy, and it was something I could make independently of the card so it could be perfected before it was attached to the existing card. It also gave me plenty of freedom to create something that was a little less masculine, to accommodate my mother a bit more.


I started my repair by cutting a piece of red coloured paper down to 6″×9″ to fit the 5″×7″ card. I chose red to match the red already on the front of tho card. I folded the paper in half and, using a generic permanent tape runner, adhered it to inside of my card. It was important to try to keep the thickness of the inside feature down to a minimum so I chose thinner card to cut my pop up mechanism slots in. I die cut a 3 tier platform using dies from Stampendous Pop Up Stages Die Set and folded the platforms into shape.

I decided to use hearts as my pop up features on my platform. This kept my design fairly simple and also continued the heart theme across from the card front. I die cut several stitched hearts from heavy weight printer cardstock (I use HP matte photo paper) using a generic heart stacking die set. I coloured them in rainbow colours using distress inks and sponge daubers. The printer cardstock is made to be saturated with ink and is great to blend distress inks on. It holds shape well when inked and isn’t overly thick for the inside of the card either.

I deliberately left red out of my inked hearts so I could bring the red into the “heart rainbow” by die cutting heart apertures in the platform panel, as background elements.

I also cut a heart from card I had laser printed a greeting on to. I trimmed the heart slightly on one side so that it would sit flush with the bottom of the platform. I inked over it with green to finish the rainbow colours in my mother’s favourite colour.

I arranged and glued the die cut hearts onto the platforms and, after checking the pop up mechanism was all working as it should, I glued the entire panel into the card, using Ranger Multi Medium Matte Adhesive.

This pop up would be fine as the feature of any card but it worked just as well as a major repair for a very special occasion card. Making the pop ups with the Stampendous Pop Up Stages dies was really quick and simple too. The dies do most of the work and I’d say they were the easiest pop up mechanisms I’ve ever made.

Let’s hope I can now write my name on the card without messing that up too…😜

Distress Inks Used:

  • Mermaid Lagoon 
  • Peacock Feathers 
  • Shaded Lilac 
  • Wilted Violet 
  • Salty Ocean 
  • Blueprint Sketch 
  • Picked Raspberry 
  • Seedless Preserve
  • Abandoned Coral
  • Spiced Marmalade 
  • Mustard Seed 
  • Twisted Citron 
  • Mowed Lawn 
Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Saving My 60th Wedding Anniversary Hard Work

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s