Hello! Today I’ve made a very quick card to enter into this week’s Simon Says Stamp Challenges. Simon Says Stamp’s Monday Challenge theme is to use layers and Simon Says Stamp’s Wednesday Challenge is to use more than one die or punch.
I’m recovering from stomach surgery (that I had last Tuesday) and am still on powerful painkillers. My mind is still making cards but my hands aren’t quite as willing to create at the moment.
I didn’t try to make a technically difficult card while on these painkillers. I wasn’t going to delude myself, thinking my crafting capabilities are back to normal just yet. They are actually pretty ordinary at the moment but I just wanted to create something, anything!
To make my project manageable, I got some (very) old patterned paper sets out, along with my dies and die cutting machine. Once I chose my papers, I strategically placed my MFT Tea Party die set onto a floral patterned paper and cut elements for a tea pot, two cups and a spoon. I wanted the tea set to look like it had a floral pattern on it but I knew I wasn’t capable of stamping a pattern with any consistency. By carefully placing the dies over certain parts of the patterned paper, I was able to give the tea set a pattern without any real work. And, I decided to use a scrap piece of vellum for the tea bag itself, to give it a little look of authenticity.
The Tea Party die set doesn’t have saucers for the cups so I cut two ovals, using the MFT Oval Shadows die set and glued the cups onto them. While they don’t look like perfect saucers, I thought the ovals worked well enough, considering.
I couldn’t leave the tea set elements just as they were so I gave all the pieces shadowing, using Antique Linen Distress Ink and a mini blending tool. I also shaped the pieces slightly by rolling them over my finger to give them a rounded appearance. I set the tea set aside and turned my focus to the card base and background.
I decided on a square card base, cutting an A4 sheet down to create a top folding 5 3/4″ card. I used a matching green piece of 6″ patterned paper as a background, fussy cutting it around the edge of its pattern, so it would fit the card base and glued a round paper doily on top.
I adhered the tea set elements using Simon Says Stamp’s 1mm thick foam tape in the centres of the pot and cups, to keep their rounded, dimensional appearance. I also used Multi Medium Matte Adhesive to glue down the outer edges, completing the rounded look of the pot and cups. I glued the spoon and the tea bag to the lower section of the card.
The spoon got a little lost on the white doily so I quickly coloured it with a light grey Tombow marker. I also decided to give the tea bag a faux string with my Tsukineko irRESISTible Wedding Dress Pico Embellisher. I drew the string after gluing the tea bag and its tag to the card. I’m still a little shaky so I knew I had absolutely no hope of being able to make a real string for the bag this time.
I went over the printed flowers with a layer of glimmer, using my Spectrum Noir Clear Overlay Sparkle Pen, to give the patterned paper a little more of a classy look. To finish the card, I added a fish tail banner with a Starform peel off sentiment, mounted on foam tape.
I can think of so many other little things I could have done to embellish the card but I didn’t want to push myself any further. What I’ve done was exhausting enough. At least making this card has quelled my crafting urges for a little while.