Hello! Recently, I have had several cards “on the back burner” that just wouldn’t come together, at least to my satisfaction. They are the cards where the idea is sound but, no matter what I try, they just don’t look right. This is one of those cards.
I bought a sheet of car stickers, thinking they would make some quick masculine cards. Boy, was I wrong! While the images look great on the sheet, once you try to blend them with other elements they become the “cards from hell” to finish.
It was at this point I started to struggle, realising the yellow colour wasn’t going to match the cardstock I had in mind to use. I overlaid each area with the Sand Chameleon Pen, without fusing the nib at all. I was hoping the two colours would blend to make a more muted cream colour. And, when that didn’t work, I overlaid all the colours with a fused Caramel Chameleon Pen. That finally gave me a colour that would be a better match. I could have just used a darker brown but I didn’t want the car to get lost in the background because it was too much of a match to the cardstock. I coloured the wheels, headlights and windows with a fused Cool Grey 8 Chameleon Pen and added some Glossy Accents to the windows and headlights.
I was still struggling with the card design. I could have gone in many directions but I was trying to keep the car prominent and the background toned down suit an older man. I stamped Altenew’s Wood Pallet background stamp onto Kraft card and onto cream cardstock folded to make a 5″x7″ card base, using Memento Rich Cocoa and Toffee Crunch dye inks respectively.
Using a 5″x7″ card base was also an immediate problem. The car was getting lost in the excess spaces surrounding it. There was so much space to fill and I had nothing to fill it with so at this point the whole card got shelved for several months.
Then, this week, Simon Says Stamp’s Monday Challenge was announced with the theme “transport it”. I also thought I could enter the card into Simon Says Stamp’s Wednesday Challenge and take advantage of its theme “anything goes”. I browsed through the example cards to get any inspiration possible and finally found some. I needed to build a background for my car! That thought was all I needed to get this card finished.
Since I’d put this card aside, I had invested in a number of scene building dies from My Favorite Things so I started to build a scene around the car. I wasn’t going to waste anything I’d already made, including the stamped card, so I started by cutting the Kraft card with a MFT wavy, stitched edge die. I still had no idea what was coming next.
I decided to break the edges of the stamped cardstock with a strip of plain chocolate coloured card, cutting it with the same wavy die. When I aligned the two stitched edge pieces together, I saw more direction for the whole card. It looked like a road! I cut another piece of the stamped kraft card and placed it behind the other two layers and, abstractly, made the plain brown card the road.
I then came up with the idea of giving the car movement. I’d also invested in the MFT Hit the Slopes slider set, not really knowing if I’d be capable of making a slider card. I had tried slider cards many years ago, before die sets like this existed, and, putting it bluntly, it was all way too much work for “just a card”.
I cut a slide opening with a slider track die that matched the slope of the die cut edges. I stuck the die cut piece onto the card base, to disguise the hole, using Ranger Multi Medium Matte Adhesive. To do this, I laid the front card panel onto the card base and stuck the die cut piece in place through the opening to get its placement right.
I temporarily taped the car into place on the front panel, over the hole. I flipped it over and stuck two heavy duty foam squares, that are precut with rounded corners, onto the back of the car. I removed the tape from the car and slid it back and forth to make sure it was going to slide smoothly. I added two die cut discs (the die for these come as part of the Surf and Turf slider set) to the back of my car assembly and my slider was done.
I added foam tape around the edge of the front panel and in a few places in the centre to reinforce the top panel. I stuck the panel onto the card base, making sure all the foam tape was well clear of my slider mechanism.
The card was still full of empty space and I didn’t have any more peel off stickers that would match the car. I had to get creative.
I wanted to keep the gold tone consistent and I had some peel off sheets with large excess blank areas. I picked out two small MFT tool shaped dies, tools that you would use on a car and cut small portions of the excess gold peel off sticker. I adhered the peel off to scrap pieces of card, put it all through the die cutting machine and glued them in one corner with matte adhesive.
I die cut three MFT street lamps, trimmed them down to fit and placed them along the “roadside”. I went back to my excess peel off sticker and cut three tops for the street lamps. I used only the inner pieces of the lamp and stuck those pieces into the voids of each lamp, to give the appearance of the lights being on. To finish, I added a large peel off sentiment and finished if edges off with a wavy gold border.
Considering how much grief this card had given me, I was happy enough with the outcome. I think I was more grateful that it was finally finished. I was particularly pleased with the consistency, being able to be use peel off gold sticker in each element.