Hello, today I’ve made a card for an upcoming 21st birthday.
For this card, I’ve taken inspiration from Laura Bassen on the Simon Says Stamp Blog and talented Anita. While both of their projects were outstanding, I decided to combine the elements from their ideas.
I’m very new to die cutting, having only bought my machine in September, but one of the first die sets I bought was the Simon Says Stamp Big Numbers Stamp and Die Set. While still starting out, I’ve tried to purchase basic sets that will give me the most versatility, just so that my Big Shot won’t be left sitting on the shelf while I save for more dies.
For this card, I started by placing the Winnie & Walter “happy” die on the top section of a piece of 5″×7″ white cardstock. I marked where I wanted the bottom of the die to finish and ruled a line across at that point. I then partially die cut the “happy” die on top of the line.
For the numbers, I taped the “2” and “1” dies together and placed them in several places on the card, running them through my machine each time. I then separated the numbers and cut the single numbers on the edge of each side, to give the placement of all the numbers a more random appearance. I also saved the cut numbers and the small negative space piece for the “2” on the right.
The background panel was coloured with Picked Raspberry and Salty Ocean Distress Inks. I blended them in from either end of the card, overlapping them in the middle to give the purple hue. I also inked the top edge lightly with Seedless Preserves.
Once the Distress Ink panel was dry, I glued the white feature panel to it, making sure to include the small negative space piece for the “2” on the right. I placed that piece by using one of my cut “2” shapes as a guide.
I then cut a 3/4″ strip of black card and used a border die on each edge. The end result reminds me of a filmstrip. I also stamped the “birthday” sentiment from the Big Numbers Stamp Set and heat embossed it with white embossing powder.
On a separate piece of white cardstock, I stamped the matching stamps for the “2” and “1” and the “st”, heat embossing them with white embossing powderand die cutting them out. I then coloured them with the same distress ink colours, in the same way as I did for the background panel.
I glued my cut shapes together to make a dimensional “2” and “1”, finishing with the stamped numerals, to give my card a dimensional element when finished. I also cut extras and did the same for the “st” so it was dimensional as well.
Finally, the centre of each dimensional piece was given a splash of glitter with a Spectrum Noir Clear Overlay Sparkle Pen.
I’d love to know what you think of this adaptation.☺